Real and Raw Live – Real conversations around the emotional journey of being an entrepreneur. Our topic today is Perfectionism with Heather Clark.
Posted by Susan Deans on Wednesday, 28 June 2017
Today I was joined by Heather Clark from Home Office Detox who helps people clear their physical clutter, so they can clear their mental clutter. Heather believes that our external clutter is a reflection of our inner clutter, and she is on a mission to help declutter one home office at a time.
Today we talk about perfectionism and how we feel this pressure to have the perfect life. Life is Real and Raw and sometimes messy! I have to say I LOVED this talk with Heather so much and I know a lot of women will relate to what we are talking about, especially if you are a mum.
Perfectionism is about trying to earn approval and acceptance. We learn this from a young age We are raised being praised for achievement and performance (school grades, having to have perfect handwriting, perfect manners, the way we look, sports, for doing what we told, people pleasing). Then as we grow we adopt this belief that says “I am what I accomplish and how well I actually accomplish it”.
We break down what all this means and how it affects our lives (and not in a good way) and what we can do to break this negative pattern. Some of the topics covered are:
- How social media is an unrealistic portrayal of peoples lives, and the impact it is having on our feelings of “not being good enough”
- What do we need more of as leaders
- What we miss out on by trying to make things perfect
- How perfectionism stops us from being creative and sharing our work into the world
- Professionalism VS perfectionism
- “Perfectionism is just an excuse not to move forward”
And sooooo much more!